Van Valkenburg Law
25 Years Of Family Law Experience In the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota
Call 952-204-5237

Protecting Your Rights As A Parent: Frequently Asked Questions About Visitation

When two parents divorce or separate, it can be a chaotic time for a child. Ensuring that each parent remains in that child's life can offer a needed measure of normalcy. In situations where joint physical custody is not an option, visitation can facilitate this beneficial division of parenting time.

Child visitation matters can be contentious, however, and the involvement of an attorney is sometimes necessary. I am Edina attorney Jane Van Valkenburg, and I have spent the majority of my career in family law. I understand the precarious, often volatile nature of child visitation disputes, and I provide my clients with knowledgeable and compassionate legal assistance.

What follows are some common questions that I receive concerning parenting time in Minnesota:

Am I entitled to parenting time?

Unless the court has ruled otherwise, yes, you do have the right to spend time with your child. If your ex-spouse proves to be an obstacle to your visitation rights, an attorney can advise you of your legal options.

Can one parent refuse visitation rights to the other?

A custodial parent cannot outright deny visitation to the noncustodial parent. It is possible for a judge to block visitation in situations where it may be in the best interests of the child. Instances of domestic abuse or uniquely tense divorces can be such occasions.

How do parenting time schedules work?

The parenting time schedule that you and your former spouse decide on will depend on your situation. Some factors to consider would be your work hours, living arrangements, the age of your child and their daily routine. A parenting time schedule may involve different parents taking different days of the week to spend with their child, or even dividing time on individual days.

What is supervised visitation?

Under certain circumstances, the court may order supervised visitation. This means a parent will spend time with their child while they are observed by a third party. Depending on the situation, this supervisory role may be filled by a friend, family member or social worker.

Can a parenting time arrangement be modified?

As children get older, parenting arrangements can change. It is possible to modify your parenting time schedule should the situation call for it. Minor changes rarely necessitate a court hearing, but if you are seeking a more substantial adjustment, it is in your best interests to consult with a lawyer.

Get The Answers You Need — Contact My Office Today

If you have questions about child custody or child visitation, I am happy to answer them. Schedule your free consultation by calling my office today at 952-204-5237. You can also arrange for an appointment by contacting me via email.

Review Us